Saturday, July 28, 2012

Campaign Packing

I received the question how to pack campaign style for an event.  There are probably as many varying answers to that question as there are men to answer it.  Below are what my opinions are on the subject.  These methods come about after lots of trial and error and reading primary accounts.  What I use and what I carry is dictated by the impression of the event.  The first section is what I do most of the time.
 
Knapsack
I place my folded issue blanket into the bag portion of the pack.  This is the side that sits on your back so the blanket provides protection from things poking you and a flat surface.  If I am bringing a shelter tent that goes on top of the blanket and some rope/twine gets shoved along one of the sides of the bag.  The envelope portion is where I put my personal items.  These almost always include a spare shirt (folded flat and put in first), socks, sleeping cap, housewife, huck towel, small fold up lantern or candle and a convenience poke sack.  That includes some scraps of fabric, toothbrush, toothpowder, Motrin, half a wood comb, foot powder and chunk of soap.  All of this is in tins or small medicine glass bottles.  My rubber blanket is folded and placed on top of the blanket bag and everything is buckled closed.  The rubber blanket is placed so if it starts to rain I or a pard can easily pull it out.  Now to cover some of the if’s and add on’s.  If I am carrying my small fry pan that goes between the bags on top of the rubber blanket to protect the wool blanket.  A hatchet would be put on the “shelf” created by the full blanket bag.  I have used to different methods for carrying a great coat.  One is to roll it up and place it on top of the pack using the overcoat straps (tip: run the straps through the arm straps so the bag has more support from sagging back).  I also have folded it and placed it in the bag and put the rolled blanket on top.  There is a trade off in each case.  With the coat on top you will have a dry blanket if it rains.  With the coat in the bag you have a more balanced pack which will ride on your shoulders better.  One thing that I am not a fan of is strapping my cup or boiler to the outside of my pack.  I have tried this and I find it just collects dirt which I don’t want in my food or coffee.

Blanket Roll
I take the blanket and fold it length wise a once or twice.  Place personal items on one end of the blanket.  With carrying just a roll you need to pack really light.  When I have done this all I have is extra socks and my convenience poke sack.  Finish the roll by rolling it up.  Stand on one end or have a pard hold the other.  Now twist the roll pretty tight and tie the two ends together with twine or an overcoat strap.  By twisting the roll it will help keep it tight, small and close to your body.  Put the roll so the “baggage area” is on your back.  Toss it over either shoulder, personal preference. 

With either of these methods there is not much extra.  Some items might be added such as writing materials or a pocket fishing kit on occasion.  I do my best to pack as if I would be carrying everything on my back all day long.  I also try not to back as if I am only going out for 36 hours since the men we portray were on campaign much more then that.  The best campaign packing method is the one that works for you  Just keep in mind you need to be able to carry the pack or roll for extended periods and read primary accounts so you can learn what they did.  It is not often you find details on how they packed especially later in the war.  To them it was just an everyday thing that didn’t really mater enough to write down.  Below is a link to an article written on this topic which includes some other methods and photos.

3 comments:

  1. I am getting inspiration from your article because I have been quite lazy and am just going to follow your steps mentioned here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats an easy and handy way to fold and pack the blanket. Even it will take less space. From now on i will follow these steps for packing. Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete