Monday, July 23, 2012

Gottahaveit Progressiveitis

This is an updated and adapted article I wrote several years ago after someone asked me to write something on the subject of upgrading ones impression.
Almost eight years ago I knew I wanted more from the hobby. I slowly started to make improvements to what I was doing and how I was thinking. I have taken great strides with improving what I do in this hobby. I have spent the last eight or so years infected with the upgrading and buying equipment disease. Seriously, there should be an anonymous support group for this. “Hello, my name is Jeremy and I suffer from upgrading-gottahaveit progressiveitis.” So, does any of this make me an authoritative person on what makes a c/p/h reenaactor? No, but I believe I have some answers and opinions and I’m going to give them. Now let’s get started.
The number one most important part of upgrading your impression comes from your attitude. Forget the gear, at least at first. If you can not show up at an event with the right attitude you have nothing, no matter how much you spend. So what is the right attitude? The right attitude to me is walking into an event with the mind set you are going to do your best to represent the soldiers who lived in the time period being portrayed. The right attitude is not worrying that the public or how other reenactors will see you as different or not fitting in. Take comfort in knowing you are being as accurate as you can be. Know that you are showing the public what they came there to see. Know that whether you or the other reenactors realize it you are setting an example. The right attitude means changing and improving the things you have control over. You have control over how you personally camp, march, drill, eat, sleep, and what you buy and wear. Here is the catch. To really get the most out of having the right attitude you need to have friends with you who do it to, the more the better.
Alright, so you and your friends have the right attitude. This must mean you want to start upgrading and buying better gear. Where do you start? I’m going to give my formula for buying gear. I’m sure there are lots of varying opinions but this one is mine. It has been developed from all my trial and errors. I wish I could have seen something like this when I started. I’m not going to get into where to buy or what makes a good item. There are other sources for that and perhaps future posts. I also am not including smaller items such as socks and mess gear. These can be purchased as you go. This formula is also assuming you already have a complete mainstream-sutler row kit.  However, I think it still can apply if starting from scratch.
The first three items I would upgrade or purchase would be a forage cap, sack coat, and blanket. Why? Because these seem to be the most noticeable when they are inaccurate. This includes how they look and feel on you. Next, I would recommend a canteen, shelter half, and haversack. A bad canteen can also be seen from far off and at times I think the same with a haversack. With a correct blanket and shelter half you can now pack properly for an event with a blanket roll or knapsack. The third round should be a good shirt and trousers. You now have a complete basic uniform. Now start looking for your leathers and an original bayonet. You should wait to upgrade you bayonet scabbard until you have your good bayonet. This way you know they will fit together. Now, start getting the other less essential items. Knapsack, dress hat, spare shirt, brogans, ect.
During this whole process I hope you have been reading and more importantly absorbing what you are reading. Instead of just reading Hardtack and Coffee as if it is just another book read it as if it was written to be your personal “how to guide”. First hand accounts are a c/pher’s guide and instruction book. To me a big part of the progressive reenactor is researching and learning. With that they should not be afraid to change what they think and how they do things. During this reading you should start to forget and challenge many of the reeanctorisms that exist. One simple example of this is haversack stuffers.  These items don’t stuff your haversack. They stuff your knapsack, blanket roll and pockets. Your haversack is for food related items. When you carry correct rations you will realize why. Nobody wants their book or image from home damaged by grease, crumbs, and other nasty food crud.
Now we have the gear, are developing the attitude and knowledge what else? Remember your likeminded friends you found? Bond with them. Become pards, comrades, messmates, whatever term you want to use. Learn to work together and trust each other. Preparing your rations or whatever else you have to do is much easier if it is split up between men. This also includes carrying items. Everything you bring should fit on your person and you should be able to wear it most of the day. If you can’t, take a close look at what you’re bringing to an event. A way to help with this is do what they did. You partner up and work with your messmates again. Trust me there is plenty of room in a shelter tent for at least two men and even three. In other words each man gets half a tent.
Now you have all the ground work laid out. Take the next big step and get out of your comfort zone. Remember, being uncomfortable means growth. Register and go to a true c/p/h event. The cost really is minimal as long as you have a day or two of vacation time to take.  Don’t be afraid of the veteran progressives or the event standards. Instead learn from them all. Use the event standards as an opportunity to expand your knowledge and upgrade a piece of gear. The men you meet at the events will be glad to help you and happy to have you. Especially if you have a firm hold of everything talked about above.
Well, I hope I have answered some of the questions that might have been out there which prompted me to write this. If nothing else I assure you that if you follow the formula and guidance written here, you will very soon contract your very own case of upgrading-gottahaveit progressiveitis.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, it does show your passion for history. Thank you for sharing it and keep posting such nice posts for us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice to know that you keep a track of your old blogs and keep those updated with time. Its good to resue your old dresses to make covers of pillows etc.

    ReplyDelete